Sunday 31 October 2010

summertime has ended

I wrote this last year, forgive me if you have read it before:

Tonight we have the changing
of the clocks.
Spring forward, fall back? But for me
I could just as easily fall forwards.

The all knowing God inside my laptop
gets it right, unlike Quakers
who arrive early for Meeting,
babies, garden birds and cats, puzzled
when their breakfast is delayed.

Autumn gathers momentum straight away.
All too soon there`s crumpets, winter vests,
hot water bottles, Christmas trees in Tescos,
as we move from British Summertime
to Greenwich Meantime,
devised originally to regulate the drinking time
of the feckless working class, and for a politician
who liked horse riding before breakfast.

In Brighton, they had all night activities: Life Drawing in the Meeting House, swimming at the Prince Regent, theatres, music and dancing. all around the city.  I meant to go and participate,but during the evening I went to a concert in Haywards Heath (I got lost in the vicious one way system, and had a large number of HH residents on the case)  It was Julie Roberts from Ditchling Meeting singing and playing guitar and keyboards, and also some other excellent musicians. I was so moved and overwhelmed by her beautiful performance and sat spellbound, so did not want to go to the White Night in Brighton as I needed time to think about it all.