Saturday 5 March 2011

Oh who would o`er the downs so free ,Oh who would with me ride?

I had begun to think that my cycling days were over, as i could not tackle the gentlest of hills and felt wobbly. But I took my trusty Swiss bike (given to me by Swiss Heidi from the writing group many years ago,and which has taken me from Le Havre to Rouen, over the Pennines and various other epic routes) to the excellent James in his small shed at Hassocks station) who admired my stainless steel spokes and chromium handlebars and worked on it all day. The result: I can now ride like the wind up and down hills and do not feel wobbly any more.   All it needed was a bit of oil and some TLC    And that`s a lesson for life.
I have just been on another train trip, this time to Bath staying one night at Limpley Stoke en route. No wartery disasters this time. It was lovely chuffing through beautiful countryside, and staying in houses with lovely views and kind friends. I went to a talk at the Bath Literary festival on poor Virginia Woolf. What a sad life. Must re-read some of her novels now with new insights.