Wednesday 11 August 2010

I wish I enjoyed train travel more. I know it is better for the environment, but I would far rather sit in my car with radio four, even in a traffic jam, than endure the vagaries of British rail, especially when travelling with a bike which sometimes had to be  carried up and down steps. There were babies crying (how I longed to pick one up and use my baby pacifying techniques) loud mobile conversations, ipods tinny music,other people`s packed lunches, nowhere to sit.  I was so glad to get safely home yesterday.  But I had lovely times in the Isle of Wight and Bristol. I managed the climb up and down the cliffs with helping hands (and also sliding on my bottom) and I had one swim in the sea. I love being with three generations of my dear family. Then I was in Bristol with son and daughter in law fron US in a beautiful flat looking over the river.  I saw two films which was a treat: Coco Chanel and Igor Stravinski, (visually stunning) and Inception which was all about dreams within dreams within dreams, a bit violent at times for an elderly Quaker but it was thought provoking , I also read two books while I was away: Little Stranger by Sarah Walters and The Other hand by Chris Cleave both of which I got totally in to and felt bereaved when I finished them.
Gordon is still mucking about in my miniscule back yard making a mess.  He always promises `it will all be finished tomorrow`.  I practised my cello for an hour this morning so perhaps that will finally put him off. It sounded pretty awful.