Sunday 1 July 2012

water, water, everywhere

The great grand baby is beautiful (still unnamed) and I held him and gazed at him to my hearts content.Also it was lovely to see my other two GGbabies and my GG niece. 
I stayed with sister J who has recently moved to a village a few miles from Newcastle.   She had just got the place straight after the move, hundreds of books, new underfloor heatin, gleaming wood floors, spanking white paint,  when disaster struck on Thursday afternoon. A sudden violent thunderstorm and the whole area was flooded.  I had always thought that you only got floods in low lying spots near rivers, but J`s house is up a steep hill.  The water poured in making the most terrifying noise and we rushed around in panicseizing  rugs and moving things The cats got marooned in a corner, and we were all soon covered in thick mud which has settled on every surface.  No electricity, so we had a candle lit night upstairs calling out through the windows to the helpful neighbours who wading about trying  to unblock the drains and divert the flow of water. I felt sad to leave my poor sister in her devastated home when I came home on Friday, but there was nothing more I could do until the insurance people came to assess the damage.  All the trains were disrupted on the way home so I got home very late on Friday night. My little cottage seemed a warm dry haven, so I will stop moaning about it`s insufficiencies. But I suppose the floods could happen anywhere, even hilly Ditchling?