Sunday 8 July 2012

and the rain came tumbling down, again.......

After the terrible flood experience up North, I view the rain water cascading down Ditchling High Street with some mistrust. Poor sister J is suffering: waiting for blokes to deal with insurance, flooring, electrics, cleaners, and in the meantime there`s nasty smells in cupboards and under sofas.  It is a nightmare and also there is the possibility that it could happen again.     The only thing for her to do is to lie on said sofa in a darkened  room watching Wimbledon.....     I still have not done this, being the only person in England who has never quite got the hang of tennis so all the excitement is rather lost on me.
I went to London on Thursday to the Royal Academy for the Summer Exhibition with friend D who is a member of RA What an interesting day. The odd choices of the Hanging Committee, the huge sums of money spent on Nursery School daubs, the hundreds of red dots on miniscule prints of Tracey Emin`s work, left me amazed. Of course, there were some wonderful paintings and sculptures too, and I thoroughly enjoyed the whole experience. Why do I not go to London to exhibitions more often?
I am trying to understand about the Higgs Boson. I will have to ask the grandhildren. It may change all our lives like the microchip and computers and mobile phones, but I am still to find out exactly how.