Monday 5 December 2011

back to dizzy Ditchling

So much going on here in Ditchling, what with the traffic jams outside my cottage, the non stop social whirl of the Old People`s Christmas lunch last Saturday (delicious food, raffle, concert ,who said there is no such thing as a free lunch?) our choir`s performance last night (All That Jazz, Dancing Queen etc) and there will be carol singing outside the post office next Thursday too. It was so quiet in my sister`s village in southern Germany where I was staying last week, I found it quite eerie though it was beautiful as always and I love being there.    Poor sister J  had a terrible cough and had lost her voice so we couldn`t talk much. I read four novels on the trot. The best was Julian Barnes` Booker prize `The Sense of an Ending, a brilliant book about how our memories of the past are often distorted.  
I am on a course today: The Lone Worker. it is because I volunteer at the Meeting House at Brighton once a week, I keep thinking its the Lone Ranger and imagine myself loping across the prairie.