Wednesday 6 July 2011

How to Live..

`How to Live` is the title of a book I have been reading based on the Life and Essays of Montaigne. I know that sounds posh and pretentious, but this book is neither.  . The chapter headings are things like: `Do a good job but not too good`, and `Keep a private room behind the shop`, and `Be ordinary and Imperfect`and `Philosophise only by accident` He wrote one hundred and seven of these essays, and they are pure gold,. I recommend it. Also I have been gripped by a novel by Lionel Shriver So Much for That, which makes me so thankful for our NHS however imperfect it is, as this is about being ill in USA.   One of the really good things about retirement is that you can read in the mornings. Or afternoons.
Otherwise I have been cycliing round the country lanes trying to get a bit of exercise, which I get plenty of with all the fiendish hills. How I wish that everyone would take more to bikes. It is not nice when cars hurtle past with dirty looks at me wobbling along.