Wednesday 30 October 2013

Oh, wild west wind......

I was all keyed up for the biggest storm since 1987 and then it was quite mild here in quiet sedate Dumbrells Court, though people not so far away had power cuts. Brother P came to stay last week and we were just settling down to a play to kill game of scrabble when the electricity went off. I couldn`t find candles or matches -lost in the move, and it was a while before we could get back to our game, (which was a tie!) So I learned a lesson to buy some candles and torches. I realise that if there were more power cuts this winter I wouldn`t even be able to make a cup of tea which is a sobering thought, but in the meantime it is cosy and comfortable here. I keep discovering new and interesting footpaths on early morning walkies with B. Wiggins (better now that the clocks have gone back) and I am getting niftier over the many stiles. B W is now used to all the rabbits, geese and sheep (on a lead of course) Grand daughter M is going to a world U.N. conference on Climate Change in Poland. She is travelling to Warsaw by coach, 24 hours. I suppose I did uncomfortable things like that when i was her age, but I worry about her, though I am proud of her too for going. We had a good quiz night last Friday in the Village Hall. I was the only one on our table to know that Hans Brinker was the the name of the boy who stuck hos thumb in the dyke to save Holland from being flooded, but I was woefully ignorant of Olympic sporting heroes and pop music idols. But it was a lovely evening with delicious food, a typical Ditchling event.