Monday 22 July 2013

One day my prince or bungalow will come.........

I am on tenterhooks (what are they I wonder?) about my proposed move. Daughter J and I daily phone offices in London, Hassocks, Haywards Heath, and we get different people every time: :Rohan, Linda, Marion, Charlotte,Jane. Hilary , the names roll off the tongue, and they all say, Oh I`ve just put a letter in the post , an email has been sent, or I`ll ring you back shortly. And then nothing happens.  So we do it all again the next day........
In the meantime I loll about in the heat, doing a bit of cooking for the family, sharing the dog walkies.    I have read several novels including Mark Haddon`s The Red House, Jonathon Coe`s The Terrible Privacy of Maxwell Sim,  Evelyn Waugh`s  Decline and Fall (reread) and others.
They keep saying on the radio `Watch out for old people in the heat` I am not sure what is likely to happen but I feel OK at present
Yesterday, the Ditchling Village choir gave a concert accompanied by Herbie Flowers and our lovely choir master Ian who has shaved all his hair off for a cancer charity and now looks like a gangster   Only one member of the choir fainted in the heat, but the rest of us just dripped with sweat as we belted out The Rhythm of Life and Top of the World.
I am off up to Kendal next Monday to stay with dear ex  neighbours M and D and whilst there will go to some Poetry Events at Grasmere so that will be a treat and take my mind off my  moving problems..