Friday 25 May 2012

Safely home again

Family and friends were concerned that I might have perished in the earthquake in Italy.Happily we knew little about it as there was no radio, TV or newspapers where I was staying. It was chilly there, unlike the heatwave here, but the sun did shine most days,Italy was as beautiful as ever, and the little towns on the hilltops, quiet and timeless.  There were cuckoos and hoopoes in the garden, cherries on the trees, wonderful wild flowers everywhere and roses too.  I did not venture into the lake to swim, but indefatigible friends J and P did.  There was a water shortage and often only a splutter from the tap, so a big deep bath when I got home last night was a treat, but it was a lovely holiday.
I am now waiting with baited breath to find out whether my much loved old rust bucket of a car has passed its MOT, if not I have the dreadful worry of dealing with second hand car dealers, a nightmare for elderly persons like me.