Friday 30 March 2012

Raised Eyebrows

I have been poorly for about a week, watching my temperature rise and fall, feeling shivery, filling hot water bottles, coughing, sneezing, wincing at shooting pains in the head, Oh I`ve been a sorry sight. I am now recovered, just about. On the plus side, there has been a Schubert fest on Radio 3 which has been a delight, all his works played by top notchers. If I had not been ill I would never have heard it all.  Facts about Schubert: he was one of eighteen children (most of them died) and they all lived in one room. He never owned a piano, but borrowed one occasionally from a friend who signalled that the piano was free by leaving his curtains undrawn.
I was out with daughter J yesterday who went to a beauty parlour to have her legs waxed. Greatly daring, I had my eyebrows shaped, ie plucked, having noticed Judy Dench`s finely shaped eyebrows in her latest film:Marigold Hotel. What an improvement! They had become bushy and witchlike. And it was totally painless.
As well as Schubert this week, I have a superb book to read: Cutting For Stone by Abraham Verghese, enthralling.