Sunday 16 October 2011

`summer nights` in autumn

Last night I went to a performance of Grease. It was a fundraising show done by the hospice in Brighton where daughter J works. (she was in it, as was seven year old Tiger)  The whole audience was enraptured. There was a standing ovation at the end. All this in spite of forgotten lines, long pauses, hardly any scenery, piped music, but the goodwill and spirit of it all made up for any shortcomings and to see those middle aged women and their children dancing away with wild abandon dressed as teenage American high school kids was sheer joy.  I loved it.   The sad thing is that the Day Unit of the hospice has had to close due to lack of funds which is a tragedy.
I am not so sure about the dog. A friend reminded me that at the end of say Downton Abbey at 10pm, I would have to put on my mac and boots and venture out in total darkness and maybe pouring rain to take it out for a walk.   In the meantime, J keeps ringing up with offers of free terrier puppies with adorable faces who need a home.