Tuesday 28 December 2010

Such a long gap, because I spilled some apple and mango juice on my laptop. It made plaintive squeaking noises at first, then packed up. I felt bereft. Then I was away firstly with sister J in Germany midst snow and ice and then for a week in the Isle of Wight and only today have I managed to get it mended.   Oh what a relief.  It is like being reunited with an old friend after a long absence.
Christmas was its usual mixture of anxious shopping expeditions, feelings of great guilt because I had forgotten a card or a present for someone, and either too much food and drink, or running out of essentials like milk or bread or loo paper.   And then there are the lovely moments when I looked at the whole tribe gathered together and think what a good lot they are, and how glad I am to be amongst them all.    The present opening was the usual flurry of wrapping paper (mostly the Guardian in my case) and proudly announcing that we had bought the gift from Oxfam, Help the Aged or the PDSA  charity shops.  Calpol, Paracetamol and Neurofen was dispensed four hourly to various members of the family but we all remained cheerful and enjoyed ourselves. The weather improved just in time, even those from the far North arrived safely.
I have had some good reads lately: The Help by Kathryn Stockett,  Remarkable Creatures by Tracey Chevalier, and Seven Days in December by Sebastian Foulkes , all winners.