Tuesday 13 November 2012

Neither shaken nor stirred.

I went to see Freefall the new James Bond movie. I always used to despise James Bond films, but now that my heroine Judi Dench has such a large role in them (and she`s Quaker) and also this new one had excellent reviews, I have come round to them. I really enjoyed it: stuunning photography of London, Macau, Istanbul, wonderful chases over rooftops,and an ending with shades of Macbeth in a ruined church in the wilds of Scotland. Though it was a bit violent, there weren`t too many dead bodies, the baddies just seemed to get up and walk away.
I drove to Petworth on Sunday, along the spectacular A272 in all its autumn glory to meet son T and family for a pub lunch. There were solemn processions of Brownies and Guides and old soldiers waving flags in the villages for Remembrance Day. I stopped for the Silence at 11am near a village war memorial. All those names, many with several from the same family, heartbreaking. I wear my white poppy but I don`t know what it means really.
I am finding all the BBC shenanigans quite baffling. I used to think that it was just daft old women like me who forget to check things, get events and people mixed up, make ghastly mistakes, but no, it happens with highly educated, hugely paid, super intelligent people who should know better.
A group of us Ditchling villagers have managed to resuscitate the Village Choir, so we are all swaying and tapping our feet whilst singing Ive Got Rhythm and Dancing Queens again on Sunday afternoons. We are doing a concert at the Dome in Brighton next week (in the foyer, its free!)