Sunday 17 June 2012

ride on, ride on in majesty.....

Today it is the Great London to Brighton Bike Ride and they all go past my cottage like a swarm of angry wasps, thousands of them. I have just seen the first one. The great advantage is that there is hardly any other traffic and there wasn`t yesterday either as it was the great Ditchling Fair (the 700th!)   Unbelievably it was a lovely sunny day, and all us villagers plus hundreds of others thoroughly enjoyed it. I helped with the book stall for the Quakers, and as usual came home with yet more books than I tried to get rid of. Dame Vera Lynn who lives in Ditchling crowned the Queen.
The night before we had a `Glyndebourne` evening at the Village Hall. A film, rather than real live singers ,but we all dressed up and had a delicious picnic food and bubbly. As soon as the opera started (L`elisir  d`amore) I remembered.  I do not like opera and never did, it gets on my nerves. So I slumbered through quite a lot of it and never did discover who married who in the end. Still it was a splendid evening.
I love the story of the nine year old who wrote a blog about her school dinners and was banned by the local governors for showing photographs of unappetising meals and saying unkind things about the dinner ladies. Perhaps I should try to be more controversial.......