Thursday 25 August 2016

Summertime and the Living Is Easy.....

Last week I went to Devon with dear old friend J and her daughter who writes childrens` books, well, they are actually for young teenagers.  Her name is Fleur Hitchcock and I am putting her name in this blog as I so enjoyed reading her two latest which were very exciting, real page turners and gave me a glimpse into the way fourteen year olds think and behave.   I also read thrillers by Susan Hill and Donna Leon (hers are always set in Venice) and also reread Sue Monk Kidd`s The Secret Life of Bees which I loved

Stoke Gabriel where we stayed in Devon was an ideal place to sit and read as we were in a cottage right by the water`s edge of the River Dart and could just sit outside watching the tides going in and out and. all the birds. It was a beautiful place. We also did what oldies like us do: go round National Trust stately homes and gardens and eat cream teas.  

Now back at home this week, I am looking after a quiet well behaved dog for a friend, and enjoying dog walks again but at a more sedate pace than with the dear late lamented Bradley Wiggins.
Dotty the dog seems perfectly happy, I was afraid she might pine for her owner. Her only fault is that she has to be forcibly ejected from sleeping in my bed at night, not a good idea especially in this heat.


Daughter J and grand daughter G are off this evening on a night sleeper to Scotland  where they are going to swim for eight miles in the icy waters of  Loch Lomond.  I am a bit worried about them but I think there will be lots of other people doing it and rescue boats if needed.

It is a very poor year for blackberries. I managed to pick a few  this evening but they were few and far between.    I wonder why.