Thursday 26 June 2014

As I was going to Ditchling Fair........

Well,I did not dress B.Wiggins up for the dog show after all,  as I read in the programme that it had to be World War One or something arty. I tried to make him into a VAD nurse but he wouldn`t keep the cap on and I also tried covering  him in poppies for a Flanders Field but he looked so miserable and it was very hot, so we gave up. But the Fair was splendid, starting at 9am with stalls up the High Street ( no traffic all day) and we danced a sort of Strip the Willow mid morning.  Then there was the choir performance on the Green and the Fancy Dress parade, it was non stop excitement. Ninety year old A who lives next door told me she went and had a dance on the green in the evening.   To add to the enjoyment, grand daughter F and daughter in law B came from Newcastle plus the two dear little boys, my great grands, so it was a real treat.

I have finished the poetry project with the Infants. Many poems are about Football and My Cat and My Dog but there is one about Henry the Eighth  (`he was a bit mean to his wives`) and another is an interesting conversation with a witch, I now await the publication of a slim volume.

I am off to Belgium on Eurostar early on Saturday for a sort of Quaker pilgrimage. We are going to hold a Quaker Meeting near the Ypres battlefields on Sunday morning and remember all those poor chaps who went through such a terrible time 1914-18, including my Uncle Henry who was just twenty one when he was killed.. Home again in the evening.   

I had a lovely visit from my dear ex neighbours who now live in Kendal, M and D and a wonderful new poetry book from D. who had done a reading at his old church in Winchester, so we had a good catch up with news.   And next week I have a sibling reunion at brother P`s all three of us together for a few days. I have such an eventful life these days.