Monday 29 August 2011

Blackberry time.

As I was cycling down the lane, I saw someone had put a bucket of windfall apples outside their gate and a notice which said `help yourself` so I did, and then I picked I blackberriess along the hedge when J and I took Robs to football at Saltdean.. So free buses last week and now free food .  I made some crumbles and put them in the freezer for Quaker `bring and shares` and I am enjoying the rest for breakfast.
I am just back from a weekend at Woodbrooke on U.A. Fanthorpe, the Quaker poet who died two years ago. It was such a treat to have a whole weekend listening to and studying her work and also it is an inspiration to do some more writing myself, which I intend to start tomorrow, I am all fired up.
Travelling to Birmingham was an ordeal. I am becoming a Grumpy Old Person on trains. I scowl at very loud mobile users (why not text instead?) I avoid babies, toddlers, and teenagers whose tinny music leaks from their ipods. On the 73 bus from Euston to Victoria which was packed solid, I looked out of the windows at people in Oxford Street frantically shopping at 7pm on a Sunday evening!  They should all be at home joining in with Songs of Praise, or something.