Monday 29 February 2016

Only One Lovely Black Eye

I have been in the wars again. I have a great bruiser of a black eye and a horribly mangled nose and I do believe it could have happened to anyone, not just to a doddery  old woman like me.
I was happily walking down Lodge Hill at eight oclock in the morning and stopped to put the dog on his lead.     Just for a moment I leaned slightly against a perfectly normal looking wooden fence, which collapsed and I fell flat on my face.   I staggered home and phoned daughter J who was fortunately not at work that day and she came to Ditchling and sorted me out.   I was so lucky not to break any bones. However, now having had a good look at my nose, I realize there is a bit missing.     Perhaps it will grow back. As long as it doesn`t frighten horses and children I don`t care.
The blow on the head does not seem to have impaired my brain (like Old Father William in Alice in Wonderland) as I won at Scrabble yesterday and (almost) completed the Prize cryptic crossword in the Guardian ahead of my sister for a change.
However I still look like a pathetic victim on Crime Watch who has been beaten up.
I find it difficult to decide which way to vote on the EU question with Boris and Dave on opposite sides. What a pair. I did enjoy the play about Churchill last night on TV with the wonderful Michael Gambon playing Winston. In spite of being such a diehard Tory he hated nuclear weapons and did try hard to work for peace initiatives. I had to admire him.
We had a birthday lunch in Midhurst for son T on Saturday at the Spread Eagle Hotel   What a lovely place. Queen Elizabeth is reputed to have slept there. There were roaring log fires, nice food, damask table napkins and tablecloths and they WELCOMED DOGS.   We shall go there again.