Wednesday 9 December 2015

All Cut and Dried

The time of the Round Robin is at hand.  I have only received two so far: one from Australia,and also a very long one from Winchester, both extremely interesting.   I love them, especislly the non boasty sort. I feel I do not have to write one myself because of this blog which is a sort of ongoing round robin.

I feel sorry for the people in Cumbria, enduring more floods.   I keep remembering the night of the terrible flood when I was staying with sister J up in Wynlaton Mill near Newcastle a couple of years ago.There was the moment when the cats were both marooned in the corner of the sitting room as the muddy water rose higher and higher and then later when we both went upstairs with a candle and the gin and tonics and wondered what to do next. It was amazing then, as it is now, how everybody rallies round to help. I have just heard on the radio of a farmer who has retrieved all his cattle, one of which swam 20 miles and was found on a golf course

I  enjoyed the play, Capital, on BBC1 which was on over three Tuesdays. It was a treat to see a well acted, well written drama instead of cliched rubbish like Downton Abbey and grisly crime series. I read the book by John Lanchester which was also excellent. 

We are planning a trip up North on 23rd December to Allendale,where grand daughter F lives.  Some of us are staying in a Bunkhouse very near her house. I keep totting up the totals expected  and get a different number each time, but I remind myself that I don`t have to worry,the catering is not my responsibility,one of the advantages of old age. . As long as I do`not have to sleep in a top bunk it should all be lovely

Grandson M has just been for a visit and cut my hair,and Bradley Wiggins is going to College to the dog department to have a cut and blow dry tomorrow so we should both look well groomed for Christmas.