Thursday 18 June 2015

Boiled Eggs and Foxgloves.

I am very pleased that the new Children`s Laureate is Chris Redell as he is an artist as well as a good writer. He recommends that everyone should do a drawing every day, keep a sketchbook handy and some well sharpened pencils.   I have been doing this. It makes you look at things more carefully and it is the process and not the result that is important. So far I have drawn:  some foxgloves, grasses and elderflowers picked on my morning walk with BW and also attempted to draw the squirrels outside my window, difficult as they are never still, and crows, which are easier. Also my breakfast egg and a jar of Marmite. I already do Morning Pages which is a sort of writing exercise when you just write for a couple of pages without taking your pen off the paper or correcting it in any way, a sort of stream of consciousness,and what with the early dog walk, it is quite a busy routine.

I have just finished Patrick Gale`s latest novel A Town called Winter which I got from the wonderful mobile library.  They get me all the new books.  It is loosely based on events in his own family: a great grandfather who mysteriously went off to Canada leaving his family behind.  Like all his books, it is thought provoking, sensitive and moving.  He is such a great story teller. 

I am doing my annual `poetry `project with the Year 2`s . Subjects range from the usual dogs, cats and gerbils to a snall boy saying he wanted to write about `demolition and blowing things up`  Many of them want to write about their tablets and other electronic devices. I am not sure whether they are good or bad, but they are inextricably part of their lives now.

I am getting ready for my trip to France with brother P. We are going on the channel tunnel this year but to the same place in Normandy as last time. I hope we both survive without having to experience a French A and E department but it is always a risk at our advanced ages. At least we will have the advantage of P`s excellent French to see us through.   The thing is, we do not have great expectations, we just love being in France with the good wine, bread and chesse and other delights and we enjoy each other`s company.