Thursday 5 December 2013

Stirrng things up.......

Stir Up Sunday has been and gone, and I did not stir a single pudding or cake.   My mum would line us up to stir and wish, and I did the same with my family and my Nursery School kids. Of recent years  cakes have sometimes sunk in the middle or got a bit burnt so perhaps I will not make one this year,  but I will miss the deliciousness of the thin slice of rich fruit cake with a cup of Earl Grey tea in a bone china cup on wintry afternoons in January.
I saw a moving and harrowing film called Amour at the Ditchling Film Club. All about old age and death and a husband devotedly caring for his wife after a stroke.   The next day I decided to pay for and organise my funeral, so I went to talk to nice Sharon at the undertakers in Hassocks to discuss the options.
` I think I can see you in the Woodland option rather than the crem,` said Sharon, her head on one side, looking me up and down.   
On a more cheerful note, B.Wiggins has been behaving impeccably so there have been no more tellings off from the headmaster at Dumbrells Court. We have had some wonderful walks in the woods at Ditchling Common, though I did get lost recently just as it was getting dark. I was so relieved when another dog walker hove in site and told me the way out of the woods. I did not think it was possible to get lost these days.
I went to a wonderful concert in Brighton in aid of the Bophal Medical Foundation. The disaster was 29 years ago and the people there are still suffering. James Bowman, the countertenor sang some of my favourite songs Linden Lea, Down By The Sally Gardens, Where Corals Lie, and others. It was sheer bliss.